At a recent online conference, a team of ACCA experts who are involved in reviewing and marking ACCA exams offered their insights on the Applied Skills, Strategic Professional and Options (UK tax) exams. The conference provided a unique opportunity for Approved Learning Partners, like IBTC, tutors and other strategic partners to come together, network, and gain practical insights into ACCA’s examinations.
During the conference they reviewed the 2018 September and December exams to provide students with direction and guidance when writing their exams this year. Here is what they had to say about The Advanced Taxation- UK
According to the examiners, there are a few changes in the ATX UK subject. The technical changes you need to be on the lookout for are the following:
- Deemed domicile changes for personal taxes (IT, CGT and IHT)
- Changes to corporate loss relief
- Income tax implications of lump sum payments
- Changes to SSE conditions
Apart from these changes, the examiners found that there are several areas that students struggle in and definitely need to improve on.
“Candidates need to consider the scenario given before they start writing their answer and not simply state general tax rules. A lot of students make this mistake. Students need to understand that each client has their own set of circumstances, which the tax rules must be applied to. Each scenario is unique and must be treated as such,” said the examiners.
The examiners gave the following advice:
• Slow down
• Note initial thoughts and plan
• Think, then write
• Think, then calculate
• Clearly address the requirements and be specific
• Provide clear, short and concise explanations
• Avoid irrelevant explanations/calculations
• It is suggested that students spend 1.8 min per mark
IBTC is a registered course provider delivering classroom tuition and distance learning courses for internationally recognised professional qualifications, such as CIMA, ACCA, CAT, ICB and CFA – offering a combination of distance learning and classroom courses designed to prepare students for their professional examinations.
Operating from Cape Town since 1995, IBTC provides classroom courses in major cities around South Africa and a comprehensive Home Study programme supported by experienced international tutors.
All our courses include a complete set of internationally acclaimed study material which has been developed to ensure that students have maximum control over what they learn, the way they learn it, and the pace at which they work.
IBTC also works closely with a variety of professional institutions to support skills training and education. We believe in providing local students with access to international qualifications, bringing you closer to your professional goals and success in the workplace.
IBTC’s role is to support students in the accounting and business management field in successfully completing their exams.
- CIMA – Certificate, Operational, Managerial, Gateway Assessment, and Strategic Level
- ACCA – Fundamental & Professional Level
- FIA – Introductory, Intermediate, Diploma and Certified Accounting Technician Level
- CFA – Level 1 – 3
- ICB ACCOUNTING – Foundation, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate & Advanced Level
- ICB ADMINISTRATION – Foundation, Intermediate & Advanced Level